What’s in my green smoothie?
I love green smoothies as a snack to keep me going and as a way to feel like I’m getting extra goodness from veggies and greens in my diet.
I am always carrying around jars of smoothie with me and lots of you have asked what’s in them! Here’s a really easy recipe that I use a lot when I make green smoothies. Give it a try – you don’t need an expensive blender for this, any one you have will do.
2 handfuls of spinach
½ cucumber (chopped)
1.5 cups liquid (water, coconut water, coconut or almond milk)
½ cup frozen berries
1 tbsp chia seeds
1 tsp supergreens
1 tsp honey
Blend everything, starting with the spinach and liquid, until you have a creamy smoothie.
The Rules when making smoothies:
- Try keep it 3 parts veg to 1 part fruit
- Berries are low GI and so make a good choice of fruit
- Bananas or Avocado will make a smoothie creamy.
- Coconut water, Water, or an unsweetened almond or coconut milk make an excellent choice when it comes to choosing a liquid to blend the smoothie.
Some extras you can add:
- Supergreens – spirulina, chlorella etc
- Chia Seeds
- Protein Powder
- Peanut Butter / Cashew Butter
- Matcha Powder
- Frozen bananas work really well in smoothies and are great to have on hand.
- If your supergreens taste too fishy, try adding some lemon or lime juice to take away the strong flavour. Honey works well too.